Recipe of Soto (Soup) Betawi
- Sambal (red or green chilies and garlic, rough blend and pour with hot oil)
- Acar/ pickles ( cucumber, carrot and shallot cut into dice, mix with water, vinegar/ apple cider vinegar, and sugar)
- 500gr beef
- 3 big potatoes (fried)
- 1.5 L beef broth
- 10 shallot
- 5 garlic
- 1cm turmeric
- 3 candlenut
- 1 cm ginger
- 1 cm galangal
- 3 lemongrass stalks (crushed and tie)
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 kafir lime leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 star annise
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 1 piece of cinnamon stalk
- 200 ml thick coconut milk ready to use (you can skip if you don’t like coconut milk and make cream milk double)
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 block beef Knorr
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tomato cut into 4
- 200 ml full cream milk
- 1 kafir lime (cut into half)
- fried onions (optional)
- emping crackers (optional)
- Boil the beef until cooked then separate the broth and meat. Fry the potatoes half cooked, set aside
- Blend (with blender machine, add litlle bit oil) shallot, garlic, turmeric, candlenut and coriander seed and fry until fragrant.
- Add bay leaf, lime leaf, star annise, cinnamon and lemongrass and stir again until fragrant, stir well 5 minute.
- Next, put the beef that has been cooked and cut into squares and beef broth, stri well 5 minute.
- Add salt, pepper, milk, and coconut milk, stirring occasionally so that the coconut milk doesn’t break.
- Simmer 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut the potato wedges that have been fried.
- Cut fresh tomato wedges.
- Potatoes and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Pour the soto (soup) into a bowl, garnish with chopped scallions, fried onions, chili sauce, pickles and halved lime.
- The dish is ready to be served.
This dish is very suitable to be served during cold weather or at night as a dinner menu. Rice is a sweet complement to enjoy with soto betwai.