Keftedes or keftedakia: A traditional greek plate full of memories and flavorings. The absolute greek “comfort food”.
The meatballs can be served or as tapas with wine, beer or ouzo, or as a snack at any time of the day. We can also put them in sandwiches or even serve them in family gatherings, parties and buffets. The choices are really unlimited.
Ingredients for the mixture (approximately 24 meat balls)
- Beef minced meet
- 1 medium grated onion
- 1, 2 cloves of garlic melted or chopped
- 100gr bread
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 10gr of oregano
- 15gr fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup of flour in order to flourish the meat balls
- Olive oil for the frying (we can also use sunflower oil for more light taste).
- Grind the bread in water for 5-10 minutes. Squeeze and crumble it.
- Put all the ingredients (except from the flour and the olive oil for the frying) in a big bowl kai mix them with our hands for 3-4 minutes. Cover the bowl with a transparent membrane and put it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Take a small quantity from the mix (approximately 2 spoons) and give the shape of small balls that the meatballs have.
- Roll each meatball into the flour till it is fully covered. Continue with the same way for the whole mixture.
- Put olive oil in a frying pan and place it in high temperature. The olive oil must cover the meatballs in the frying pan, or at least it must be untill the middle.
- When the olive oil is hot enough add the meatballs to the pan. Never fill the pan with the whole quantity of the meatballs. Prefer to fry them in 2 or 3 doses.
- Fry until the meatballs take a brown color (approximately 3 to 4 minutes) mixing them all the time. When they become ready place them in a kitchen roll in order to absorb the extra oil.
Ingredients for the yoghurt sauce (optionally):
- Greek yoghurt
- A pinch of salt
- A spoon of olive oil
- Half spoon of vinegar
- 4 leaves of mint, chopped
Put all the ingredients in a middle bowl, mix them very well and put it into the fridge.