FRIED ICE CREAM RECIPE
Although stories can vary on the origin of fried ice cream, you are more likely to find this crispy-cold treat in Asian and Mexican restaurants as both nationalities want to appropriate the recipe, which we can understand since it is so tasty!
Fried ice cream is a dessert made for people who seek the freshness of ice cream but still want to enjoy a warm crisp. Although lazy fans of this dessert have found a way to obtain the crispy texture without using oil for frying, the original recipe is made with quickly deep-fried ice cream to maintain the cold temperature.
- 2 pounds (960 g) vanilla ice cream
- 5 cups corn flakes
- 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Step 1: Arrange ice cream balls on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the ice cream will not be very hard.
- Step 2: In a shallow mixing bowl, combine the chopped corn flakes, coconut and cinnamon. Mix well and roll frozen ice cream balls in coconut mixture until well coated. Set aside remaining coconut mixture.
- Step 3: Refrigerate coated ice cream balls for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 4: In another mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar and milk. Whisk well together.
- Step 5: Remove the ice cream balls from the freezer. Dip each ball into the egg mixture, and then roll in over the remaining coconut mixture. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Step 6: Pour enough oil (4 inches=10 cm) into deep pan.
- Step 7: Preheat oil over medium-high heat to 356 F(180 C).
- Step 8: When the oil is hot, carefully dip the ice cream balls. Fry for about 30 seconds until golden brown. Serve immediately.